The original design, was for having two electromagnets.. however, I decided that one would be sufficient for my purposes. as it was only for " amusement purposes only".. and "something to do".
( I bought the bar, intending to use two magnets, but decided against it )
I bought two grades of magnet wire from Ebay suppliers... the first attempt was with very thin wire.. 0.1mm diameter, which broke very easily, when trying to wind on... It worked, but I was not happy with it...
so I use the thicker wire. 0.5mm diameter
From the initial coil of wire, I decided I wanted about 100feet ( 33mtrs approx). from a 90 mtr roll. Obviously, I could not measure that amount, as I was winding, so had to use the back garden to lay out the wire, and then rewind it on to a temporary spool, that I made from two plastic lids and a piece of tubing stuck together with impact glue ! ..I am not related to Heath Robinson, as far as I know ! !
To wind the wire onto the bolt, I used my trusty hand drill, lodged into my desk drawer, so that I could guide the wire with my left hand and slowly crank the handle to wind on the wire. I made a "support" for the coil of wire jammed into a lower drawer.
Pics show the attempt with the fine wire... but the principle was the same for the final 0.5mm wire. I had no idea how much wire would be wound on, so just kept going, eventually, wound on 5 layers.
which finished up looking like this...
Once the coil was wound, I tested it using a 9v battery, and it worked !.. so now it was time to draw out the shapes from the design, and cut them out.. I decided that the best way would be to cut out the paper shapes and then draw round them on to the piece of wood.
Using a coping saw, and various "formers" covered with sandpaper, the parts were made as follows.
Once all the surfaces had been smoothed down several coats of undercoat paint were sprayed on, and rubbed down between coats.
As the rocker is made of wood, I needed a small metal plate that the electromagnet could react to.